Saturday, June 16, 2012

40 Year Reunion

I got a letter the other day and it was notifying me of my 40th High School Reunion. The event on Friday is a "Meet and Greet" with appetizers and an open bar (means you pay for your own booze) and an Open Mic for Singing.  It costs nearly $50 for two.

There is also a big buffet dinner on Saturday night with another open bar and dancing for about $80 for the reunion attendee and a partner. Followed the next day by Golf.  Oh boy.

I thought about this for a few moments and let the nostalgia bloom a bit and then regained my senses.  The best day of High School was the day I graduated and far from being the best days of my life, I would hope that I have not had all the best days yet.

First of all I don't think anyone from high school knows me or cares about me or what I have done with my life and I feel the same.  No rancor.  Just not interested.

There were over 400 people in my graduating class. There was no way of knowing all of them and no one really tried.  From Kindergarten to 6th grade we were all in various Elementary schools.  From 7th to 9th grad we were divide in to two Jr. Highs and then all funneled into the one big High School.

The people I knew best were the kids I went to Elementary school with for 6 years. And in the first month of 7th grade I was somehow deemed uncool then teased and bullied and (thankfully) ignored until graduation.  So I don't have a great fondness for most of the people I went to school with.

What I remember from my high school years has nothing to do with high school. I remember doing a play or three as a tech and an incidental characters.  I remember  good times with the few friends I had outside of school.  I remember making out with a few boys who's names I don't remember (And thank you guys. I really did enjoy it).

Most of the good times I remember from those years are with my family.  We really did have fun and great discussions.  I actually liked my parents and my brothers.

High School itself, meh.  I liked the bit of learning I got but not much else.

It surprises me , as most of my classmates and I tried very hard to get out of high school and away from everyone there, anybody would want to back and feel like they were in high school again.

So do I spend about a $120 dollars on a beautiful August weekend being nostalgic about my graduation from a place that (in the long term) was really unimportant to my life. Or do I relax, play with a grandchild, read a book, take a nap? The latter of course.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I agree with you about high school reunions. It's my 10 year reunion and considering I spent two out of the three years of highschool at a community college I have even less memories or cares about my classmates and what they're doing, the few I did care about I follow on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete